As the weather begins to heat up, make sure your car is staying cool with these easy tips to remember for taking care of your car this spring/summer.
- Keep your engine cool by checking the level of the coolant. Low coolant may cause your engine to
overheat, and the proper way to check this is when your engine is cooled off. Never ever open the radiator cap when your engine is hot because you could get burned badly by hot steam and boiling coolant.
- Wash the under body of your car. This is something people often forget, but during the winter, the underside of your vehicle is collecting salt build-up which can lead to erosion and rusting if not taken care of. To get the best results, use a high-pressure sprayer or a garden hose to clean.
- Take a close look at your battery. With hotter temperatures, the liquid inside your battery actually evaporates and if your battery is more than four or five years old, this could leave you high and dry. If the battery in your car is more than a few years old, you might consider looking into getting it replaced so you’re not stuck with a dead car on a hot day!
- If you’re driving an older car, you should keep an eye on the belts and hoses. These deteriorate with age, but add long periods of extreme heat and this process can be accelerated.
- Check your tire pressure! In warmer weather tires will expand and if your tires are not inflated properly or over inflated, this could result in a blown out tire and you being stranded on the side of the road.
If you take care of your car, your car will take care of you, so as long as you take this short list into consideration this spring, you shouldn’t have any issues with your vehicle. For any service or maintenance your vehicle might require, please contact us at Pfeiffer Plainfield Used Cars and we would love to help you out today!