Spring can be a beautiful time to take a drive, but it can also throw a fair amount of inclement weather your way. Stay safe behind the wheel this season with these safe driving tips:
- In heavy rain, slow down — but not too much. Decelerate by 5-10 mph to prevent hydroplaning or slippage. If you’re on the highway or curvy road, suddenly slowing far below the speed limit could be dangerous if other drivers are not paying attention.
- If your windshield wiper blades are on, your headlights should be too.
- If you see a flooded area on the road, avoid it. Water can get into and settle within your engine, and you never know what’s lurking inside those dirty puddles on the road.
- If there is fog, activate your fog lights. You can do so using a switch on the dashboard or with the turn signal lever, depending on the model you’re driving.
- If you’re having car troubles and need to pull over, try to find a flat space to do so that is away from any curves in the road, then turn on the hazard lights.
- Make sure all tire treads are at a proper depth. Roadworthy tires are critical to safely conquering stormy weather.
Take these safe driving tips seriously. Caution is your best friend when the weather turns bad. For a vehicle equipped with useful safety features at a great price, visit Pfeiffer Plainfield Used Cars.